Well, well. We’ve discovered all sorts of interesting things in the last few days:
- The British people still retain their ancient instinct for democracy.
- Gauging by those calling for a re-run of the referendum, or for parliament to ignore the Brexit result, there are far more anti-democrats on the left than the right, for all their anti-fascist sloganeering.
- Corbyn would rather sit in a bunker and emerge as the leader of a pro-Marxist Labour rump than resign.
- Most senior EU bureaucrats would rather just be shot of the UK than alter the current course of the EU in any way.
- The effects of Brexit are likely to be much worse for the EU than the UK.
- Nichola Sturgeon is a razor-sharp political opportunist.
- Labelling your political opponents as racist may still stifle public debate, but no longer works to shame people in the voting booth.